photo credit: Run Fast, Eat Slow
The Boston Marathon is one of the biggest events in Boston, drawing over 27,000 runners and 500,000 spectators every April. Each year we look forward to hosting runners and their families over marathon weekend. With close proximity to the Finish Line, the Inn is the perfect place for marathoners to stay. We’re also one of the only hotels in Boston with a full kitchen, making it easy for runners to store and prepare the meals that they’ll need before and after the race. In preparation for the upcoming 121st Annual Boston Marathon, we’re sharing a recipe from the cookbook “Run Fast, East Slow: Nourishing Recipes for Athletes,” that can easily be made in your suite at the Inn. Written by world-class marathoner and 4-time Olympian Shalane Flanagan and chef Elyse Kopecky, the ladies recommend this burrito recipe as a “hearty postrun breakfast.”
Makes 6 Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag (6 ounces) baby spinach (4 packed cups)
- 10 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 burrito-size whole grain tortillas (about 10 inches)
- 1 ½ cups spicy black beans or 1 can (15 ounces) chili beans
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet (eggs are the one dish we cook in a nonstick pan) over medium heat. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted. Add the eggs, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring continuously, until scrambled. Remove from the heat.
2. Place each tortilla on a 12 x 12-inch sheet of aluminum foil and sprinkle with ¼ cup of the cheese. Divide the egg-spinach mixture among the 6 tortillas, placing in a strip down the center of the wrap. Top each with ¼ cup of the beans.
3. Roll up each tortilla like a burrito by folding in the tops and bottoms. Enjoy immediately or wrap tightly in foil and place together in a gallon-size freezer bag and freeze.
4. To reheat, unwrap from the foil, place on a microwaveable plate, and microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes, rotating after 1 minute, until warm in the center.
All of our rooms come with fully equipped kitchens will a refrigerator, stove top, dishwasher and microwave. Click here to see a list of what you can find in each in-room kitchen. If you’re coming in to town for the Boston Marathon, we hope to welcome you over Patriot’s Day! If you need assistance with a reservation, don’t hesitate to call us at 617.236.8099.